WORKPLACE FIRST AID INCLUDES MENTAL HEALTH
St. John Ambulance Niagara Falls Branch is proud to partner with instructors through the Mental Health Commission of Canada to expand the delivery of training in Mental Health First Aid. This two day program goes beyond the basics of managing psychological emergencies which is now included in all of our Standard First Aid training programs.
What is Mental Health First Aid?
Mental Health First Aid is the help provided to a person developing a mental health problem or experiencing a mental health crisis. Just as physical first aid is administered to an injured person before medical treatment can be obtained, MHFA is provided until appropriate support is found or until the crisis is resolved. Colleagues and managers are best placed to be the first to recognize the signs and symptoms of mental health issues in their co-workers, provided they are trained in Mental Health First Aid. The cost of this course is $150.00
MHFA training will help equip your organization to:
- Recognize and understand the symptoms of mental health problems, including those related to substance abuse
- Provide help to prevent the mental health problem from developing into a more serious state
- Promote the recovery of good mental health by accommodating employees in distress or recovering from a crisis
- Increase productivity and reduce absenteeism
Evidence from the MHFA commission research has shown that individuals who complete the 12-hour basic course have:
- Significantly greater recognition of the most common mental health illnesses and problems
- Decreased social distance from people with mental health illnesses or problems
- Increased confidence in providing help to others
- Demonstrated increase in helpful actions
Please note the dates listed below are scheduled classes for the year subject to availability at the time of booking.
Upcoming Training Dates
|Course||Start Date/Time||End Date/Time||Location|
|Mental Health First Aid – Basic||June 10, 2017 9:00am||June 11, 2017 4:00pm||5734 Glenholme Ave. Niagara Falls|
Find out more about MHFA and the Mental Health Commission of Canada visit their website at http://www.mentalhealthcommission.ca
Read more about the importance of MHFA in the attached flyer